Monday, March 7, 2011

Malibu Creek 50k Race Report

4:12, first place, CR whooooo! 

Went out too fast on the first loop, just like when I ran the bulldog last August... felt good doing so, but paid for it on the 2nd loop. I knew I'd be hurting on the climb on the 2nd loop because of how hot it was getting, but I wanted to build a big lead so I did.  One person not only stayed with me, but passed me on the climb at about mile 5, luckily she (Anna Frank) was running the 25k. I toyed with trying to catch her but eventually gave up. I think I got to the 25k turn around 2 minutes behind her. How someone from Bakersfield learned how to climb like her, I have no idea - awesome performance. Beat the next 25k finisher by 5 minutes. 

Lukas Temer finished in 2nd place in 4:20, then Michael Alfred in 3rd in 4:25.  It was great chatting with Mike and Sara, the RD's of PCTR after the race, super nice people. Looking forward to seeing Sara at SD 100 in June. 

Halfway up the hill on the first loop I saw a couple guys standing on the fire road, one guy with his hands folded on his chest and... what the?!  His shorts where around his ankles, working on his tan lines I guess... who the heck is that guy? Then as I got closer he yelled out... "yeah Price." What! Who IS this guy? Then I realized it was Keith, a buddy of mine to started chasing me when I passed. The other guy, another buddy of mine, Andy, BA'd me when I saw them on the next loop. Uh, thanks for the inspiration guys?  The second time I went to cross Malibu Creek my hamstring totally cramped up, couldn't move my leg. Luckily they had a rope strung across the river that I used to get myself to the other side, stretch out and pop some saltstick pills. For a second I thought I was done for. 

Chatted with tons of fun people at the start and finish... can't wait to see Luis Escobar's pictures of the race, here they are:  http://www.photostockplus.com/home.php?tmpl=159&user_id=68927&event=792747&album=792748 he got a bunch of cool creek crossing shots.

Now, time to not race for awhile. Welllll, I do have a race in 3 weeks, The Cheseboro Half Marathon, but I'm going to run it as a training run. I'll run it hard, but I don't plan on tapering for it. With these races so close together recently I have been tapering too much and running too little.

3 comments:

  1. Dear King of TO,

    That is a fast time on a tough course. Nice!

    I love the "go out hard and pay for it later" style. That is the best way to race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. King of TO, ha! Maybe after Leona? Oh snap calling you out son! Haha, j/k I can't hang with you for 50 miles, will be fun to try though.

    I do like going out hard, but I think I went out a tad too fast Sunday, oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job again and nice meet you Chris. I knew as soon as I saw you take off at the beginning with no one willing to match pace that this race was yours. Congrats on a great race on a tough course with a new CR to boot!

    And yeah - that gal that smoked the 25K was unbelievable. Good for her.

    ReplyDelete